Monday, January 25, 2010

Clean...I'm never caught up!

I wouldn't say I'm a clean freak but I do enjoy the kitchen neat and tidy, and the living room floors free of crumbs, food and debris. So everyday the area which is the most used gets cleaned on a constant basis. Gabe knows my routine down pat. We get up, go downstairs, and unload the dishwasher. He loves this part because I let him stand on the cupboards and put away all the cups, and plates. Then I ask Gabe what he wants for breakfast and his answer is ALWAYS "Krispies". Okay. He grabs me a bowl before I have to ask (we keep all his plates and bowls where he can reach them) and while I'm pouring the cereal, he grabs me the milk. I place him in his high chair where he eats his Krispies (using a spoon...not so gracefully) and proceeds to get them all over himself, his high chair, the floor, the walls...Edie...and every other conceivable and not so conceivable place within a 50 yard radius. After breakfast I thoroughly clean off my son, put his high chair back to its rightful place then curse under my breath about the Rice Krispies which are now stuck between my toes.

While I'm trying, in vain might I add, to sweep the wet Rice Krispies off of the floor (before they dry there and I have to scrape them off using my fingernails) Gabe grabs a box full of toys and dumps them everywhere. Edie screeches with delight and rolls over and over playing with anything she can grab while moving through all sorts of wonderful crud. Finally in exasperation I pull out the vacuum and suck up every piece of debris I can see with the naked eye. Next I grab for the Swiffer mop only to notice that Gabe has spilt his juice, or opened a pack macaroni, or thrown every lego block he owns under the couch while shouting YA! At this point I give up until Gabe goes down for his nap. Then I pick up his toys and finish washing the floors, and if Edie is in a good enough mood I might get to clean a bathroom or fold a load of laundry. But no matter how much I get done in a day, or how little, my house always seems to look the same. Messy, disorganized, and like I have 50 children living with me.

It's hard enough cleaning up after the kids, but most of the time I have to clean up after Scott as well. I try not to complain too much about his mess when hes at home since he does work long, ridiculous hours, and he does wake up with Gabe so I can get a little extra sleep; but there are some days, like today, where I just look around at the same endless mess and think "I can't do this again". In fact today I said it out loud, got up off the floor, and took myself to my room for a much needed time out.

After 10 minutes of pouting and an annoyed facebook post later, I looked around, sighed and cleaned my room.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol...I love this one. I was never good at being organized with the house work like you are. I admire that about you. I more admire that you put that aside to play with the kids. You are an amazing mom.

Mom

Anonymous said...

I wish I had a dish washer!!

Alena

carrie said...

I love it! I never had one until I met Scott! nd I will NEVER go back! NEVER!!!!!