Monday, July 23, 2012

God's Waiting Room

He was in the pits watching the race unfold before him. The sounds of engines roaring and tires squealing filled him with adrenaline. They’d worked hard this year to get the car running smoothly and his role of crew chief was drawing to an end.  The smell of diesel and dirt might seem overpowering to some but he loved it. He took a deep breath, inhaling the familiar and soothing aroma. He started to feel a little ill, sweat speckled his forehead and he thought perhaps he had eaten something which hadn’t agreed with him. Then there was pain; an explosion in his chest and throbbing in his left arm. Gasping for breath and maybe mercy he stumbled towards his pit crew. His eyes rolled up inside his head and he collapsed, his body met the heated, dirty asphalt and sirens rang out in the distance.

Billy Sr. was rushed to the hospital barely clinging to life. Although he had managed to survive the heart attack, he had slipped into a coma. The community of racers at PGARA Speedway were devastated.

My brothers and I had never met the infamous Billy Sr. Over the next few days we heard plenty of stories as people reminisced and drank and hoped that maybe God might see fit to spare his life. I felt for my family of course. They had been close to Billy Sr. and he was a good man – one who deserved to know his future grandchildren, one who deserved to live. My family was hurting and for my part I could do nothing to ease their pain, nor even share in it, at most I could give my sympathy and prepare to give condolences.

A few nights after Billy's heart attack he came to visit our family. At first I had no idea what my mother meant. He was in coma after all. How could he visit my brother who slept across the hall from me? Apparently even at death’s door Billy Sr. could not be dissuaded from putting others at ease, indeed from being a good guy.

My brother said he dreamed about a conversation with a man who was in a bright and beautiful room. He looked calm and happy. My brother went on to describe the man in great detail right down to the stubble on his face. My mother pulled out the racing team’s photo (over fifteen different men) and asked Greg to identify the man he had spoken with. Without hesitation my brother identified Billy Sr.

My mother was astonished but she managed to ask, “What did he say?”

Greg glanced up and said, “He told me he was in God’s waiting room, but he’d be home soon”.

That night Billy was taken off life support; he passed away silently. But his message to my brother has lived on and although he is missed, he is no longer mourned.

For he is Home.

read to be read at yeahwrite.me

34 comments:

Christie said...

What a chilling and miraculous story. Thanks for sharing.

christie tate said...

Wow, this is a powerful story about connection, hope and faith. I love it. Your description is great. I felt myself holding my breath. Fantastic title too.

Unknown said...

Wow. Very powerful.

Crack You Whip said...

This really is a deep and beautiful story. Glad you shared it.

Unknown said...

What a great story!
Thanks for sharing!

Cindy said...

Amazing story, well told.

carrie said...

@Christie-It was truly amazing. If you knew my brother he is so self conscious, especially as a teenager. He doesnt believe in the supernatural, we aren't church goers, so the story takes on a whole new dimension when you realize my brother is more of a scientific kind of guy - not given to flights of fancy!

@Christie Tate-I'm glad you liked it. Whenever I start to doubt whether there truly is a God without fail I come back to this story. It just has no explanation. We didn't live with my mom you see. We saw her twice a year. So we never met Billy Sr. It was just all so crazy!

@KathieKramer- Thank you. To this day our family still talks about it.

@Crackyouwhip- I'm so glad you enjoyed it!

@Dawn-Thank you!

@Cindy- Thanks so much!

Your Doctor's Wife said...

Fantastic! I could've kept on reading!

IASoupMama said...

What a wonderful story -- so cool that your brother got to experience something like this. Beautifully written, too!

christina said...

wow. WOW. incredible story!

Louise Ducote said...

What an interesting and poetic phrase: "God's waiting room." Love the way you told this one: simple and straightforward.

carrie said...

@Yourdoctorswife- :) Thanks!

@IASoupMama- I KNOW right! I was so jealous that it was him who got visited! But it was still a neat story and probably even more believable since it came form my brother a guy who doesn't believe in anything paranormal.

@Christina- It is such a neat story!

@Louise - it was such a beautiful phrase expecially since Billy was in a coma when he said. Waiting patiently to meet God. Thanks for the compliments!

Robbie K said...

This is incredible..gave me chills-in a good way.

Anonymous said...

You just gave me some serious chills. Great story.

Treading Water in the Kiddie Pool said...

Really liked this, Carrie. Felt like I was there in the beginning and how cool for your brother to have that experience!

carrie said...

@Robbie- thanks so much!it was so surreal when it happened. So amazing!

@Kathleen-Thank you!!

@Treadingwaterinthekiddiepool- Aww thanks. I really wanted to make the reader feel for Billy Sr. To make his death as bittersweet as possible. I'm glad so many people liked it!

Joe said...

OK, that gave me goose bumps.

Anonymous said...

Great job. That first paragraph - I know the scents you speak of. I love them. I get it. You described my husband to a tee. ;)

Mamarific said...

Oh, that gave me goose bumps! Amazing story!

Kinley Dane said...

Such a beautiful story!

Anonymous said...

That is some kind of eerie! I'm glad it brought the family a measure of comfort.

carrie said...

@Joe- I got them too the first time!

@Kim- Your hubby into racing too?

@Mamarific- I'm glad you enjoyed :)

@Kiani-thank you :)

@Jesterqueen- me too! I think it helped quite a bit!

Studio Liz said...

Well written, moving post. The description of the scene before the heart attack was excellent.

Stacie @ Snaps and Bits said...

I think you gave everyone goose bumps with this one! I was not raised religiously (and I am a scientist, translate=I need proof) but when I hear stories like this, it's hard not to wonder...

Anonymous said...

Great story! A gentle way of sharing your faith.

carrie said...

@StudioLiz-Thank so much!

@Stacie- I wasn't raised religiously either! (went to Catholic School but not for the religion for the quality of the schooling lol). I think this is why it stands out so much. I am agnostic. I believe in something after death but I reserve judgment as to what that might be. Truthfully I don't know what my brother believes. Hes so quiet but I know hes not a church goer or follows any type of religion! Thanks for the comment! :)

@Talkingismyprimaryfunction- thank you! Although I'm not sure it is faith so much as an incredible story that bore faith from it. Truthfully I don't believe in any one concept of what God is. I prefer to believe I couldn't possibly hope to grasp a being that complex. I just know I love the story and the hope that there is more after this life!

Sisterhood of the Sensible Moms said...

Wow! You told the heck out of this story. Ellen

carrie said...

@Ellen- Thanks! Hehe!

Mary @ A Teachable Mom said...

Love the way you told this story - so powerful and hopeful. Wow. Definitely got goose bumps (the good kind!).

carrie said...

@mary- Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

Well told and great story!

carrie said...

@50shades- thanks!! :D

AguiLeon.com said...

nice story carrie

bty i'm #30 follower

carrie said...

Welcome follower thirty! :) Glad you liked the story!! :)