Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Mother's Day. WHAT. Oh crap.

The day started off as any other. I sat down at the computer to check Facebook while Edie played at my feet. I wished all the mother's I knew a Happy Mother's Day and when Scott woke up I smiled and said "so, what are we doing today?". His look of confusion quickly morphed into one of horror and I knew immediately he had forgotten Mother's Day.
"Ahem...ah well...I was thinking of getting you Tim Horton's for breakfast..and then whatever you want to do...we can do...".
"Ah huh..." I responded, "did you forget Mother's Day?"
"Um..well..in my defence you're not my mother" Nervous chuckle.
My icy glare must have frightened him as he tried in vain to back out of that comment.
"Well, what I mean is our kids...they are cheap...and um...couldn't afford to get you anything"
"Our kids are cheap?"
"Yes..."
"okay well go get me Tim Hortons then, and bring the kids. I don't feel like watching children who can't be bothered to even make me a card"
"Okay..." he said with a gulp.

I'm sure he believed he could pick something up on the way to Tim Hortons, but apparently handling the kids on his own was too much for him to deal with. By the time he got back I had decided I wasn't going to be mad or bitter, and instead I would use his forgetfulness for the best Mother's Day ever. I would get whatever i wanted, and he couldn't complain.

Ever since I moved to the lower mainland I've been dying to go to Playland and Scott always had an excuse not to go. Now he didn't. HEH HEH. So we all travelled an hour and a half and I got to spend a few hours having the best time with my kids. Playing games, eating candy apples, going on rides (kiddie ones). It was the most fun I have had in a while (I'm a freak about fairs). Then we got home and ordered pizza and watched the Canucks game (which they won!). The best part of Mother's Day was avoiding all the menial tasks of being a mother. I didn't have to cook or clean all day and Scott also bathed the kids and put them to bed.

I truly enjoyed having Scott as my personal guilt induced slave and I hope everyone else enjoyed their Mother's Day as much as I did.

No comments: